Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chapter Fourteen of Making Lemonade A Spiritual Journey Through Pain and Divorce

“I’m a Pit Bull”


Saturday morning I woke and readied myself for a new experience called Adopt-A-Block. The only thing I had heard about the outreach was people went to neighborhoods and gave food and clothes. God put it on my heart that I join, so I was ready for recruitment.

Arriving at the church, I saw people gathering around boxes of food and clothing and had no idea where to go. It was difficult to find someone to ask as they hurriedly gathered their supplies. Finally someone saw the “deer in the headlights” look and asked if I needed help.

“I’m new and have no idea where to go.”

“Go inside.” He pointed to the building in front of me. “Someone there will adopt you.”

Just as he said that, a voice belonging to a tall, semi-hyper man shouted, “I’ll adopt her!”

From that point, I considered myself adopted. His name was Kirk, and he led me inside and told me to sit and wait for him. With everyone seated, a pastor came to the front full of energy that mirrored Kirk’s and delivered a quick, motivating sermon.

I cannot tell you what section of the Bible he preached from, but all I remember to this day is how he said we had to have a pit bull attitude when it came to saving people, how Jesus didn’t give us the spirit of fear and to reach out with our hearts at our blocks.

A young man came up to me and told me he would be happy to take me and pointed out the mandatory background check forms we had to fill out.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” I shook his hand. “I’ve already been adopted by a group.” I pointed to Kirk.

“No problem. Glad you found someone.” Smiling, he left with his group.

Darn. He was cute. Too young for me, but cute all the same. I felt my loyalty was more important and knew there was a reason that God chose this block for me.

Kirk introduced me to a large black man who made me a little nervous. “This is Nathan, and I’m going to pair you up with him. He’s going to show you the block and what we do.” Instantly Nathan smiled and spoke to me. The intimidation factor left. He was a giant teddy bear!

We loaded up, and I caught a ride with another member to the block since I was unsure of how to get around the north side.

“Welcome to Sunnyslope,” he said as he pointed to the war zone I was about to enter.

Departing from the car, I rejoined Nathan, and we began walking the streets. I discovered he was only a few weeks old to Adopt-A-Block and told me about his first time. Taking me over to an apartment building, he pointed out the blood stain on the sidewalk.

“See this blood? This is from a guy who lived in this apartment. I came around the corner and he asked, ‘Do you speak English?’ I said, of course. Then he took his hand off his neck, and there was this gash where someone had cut his throat. I went to call Kirk, and he was standing right behind me with the same expression I had on my face. His brother was still inside the apartment, dead. Kirk told me, ‘Welcome to the block’!” If Nathan expected me to run back to the safety of my car and never come back, I’m happy to say the story didn’t deter me.

I found Sunnyslope to be nothing like its name. It’s a forgotten little corner behind a mountain ornamented with wealthy houses. On the opposite side lay middle class suburbia. Broken glass lay like shattered hope and carpeted the ground. It was as thick as the lies the enemy fed the inhabitants. A small cluster of apartment buildings flanked the sad street. Plastic windows, like blind eyes, stared out into the world. With each step the hot asphalt sucked out a little more happiness from my spirit.

“I want to go over here,” Nathan pointed across the street. “Now,” he began as he put his hand on my back and looked down on me like he was speaking to a small child, “There’s a crack house over there in that complex. If you don’t want to come, I understand.”

Drugs? Here in Sunnyslope? I had no idea. Biting back my sarcastic response, I simply answered, “I’ll come with you.”

Surprised, Nathan smiled and led me to the worst set of apartments on that street. Entering the U shaped complex, I was greeted by a parking lot covered in smashed beer bottles and condoms. Empty parking spaces were thick with black oil while others housed barely functional cars. I persevered.

Walking to the second story, Nathan kept on about how fragile I seemed and that he hoped that this experience wasn’t going to scare me away from the block. Finally, I had enough.

“Let me tell you something about me, Nathan.” I pointed to him. “The enemy doesn’t scare me. I’m not afraid of anything. I’m a Pit Bull.” Visions of ripping off the enemy’s horns danced through my head as I remembered the morning’s lesson.

Recoiling from my comment, he saw the look in my eyes and nearly fell off the balcony. At first he was angry that I would talk to him like that, but later, he respected this tiny, 5’1” woman who walked into Sunnyslope like she owned the place.

Never judge a book by its cover. Just as Nathan appeared scary to me, to him I looked like a nineteen-year-old who had never seen anything other than a silver spoon. What I told Nathan was true. I had seen the enemy. He had given me his worst for 35 years, and he was out of ideas on how to stop me from succeeding with the plans God had for me. He stripped away all that I loved, and now I was angry, and it was time I step up and fight back on his turf. Bring it on! Yes, Sunnyslope was now my block, my family.

Returning the following week, Nathan stated how much he and Kirk were amazed by me and said that this was the perfect block for me.

Nathan gave me a new name. “I have a new name for you—Ultimate Warrior. Because, Angela, you have no fear. You’re so awesome.” The following week, he changed my name to Pit Bull.

Slowly, I began forming relationships with our regular attendees in The Slope and continued searching for the hurting. Caring so much about the block, I would drive by at night by myself and pray for the people. Relaying this information to Kirk and Nathan, they had concerns for my safety. Again, I had no fear, and in some ways not a whole lot to live for.

To purchase a copy of the entire book:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Lemonade-Spiritual-Journey-Through/dp/0595531148/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

No comments:

Post a Comment