Friday, March 12, 2010

Chapter Thirteen of Making Lemonade A Spiritual Journey Through Pain and Divorce


You Saved My Life

One day, at the end of February, my boss called me into her office. Thoughts of getting fired entered my mind. Great, they’re tired of hearing me cry all day. It turned out to be a great blessing. Asking how I was holding up, as if it wasn’t obvious enough, she told me of a girl in another department whom I needed to get to know.


Briefly introducing ourselves, she told me of this great church she belonged to, Phoenix First Assembly of God. It was a drive, but she said it was worth it. God loved me so much He pulled me from a church where I was spiritually and physically dying to a place where I could receive the help I needed.

The following Sunday, I met her in the parking lot at work. During service, I was contemplating if I would return. I really liked the service. Pastor had a great message. The sanctuary was full of people of all ages and, according to the handout, there were several activities to get involved with. But was it worth a 45 minute drive each way?

I met up with her again to attend the 7:00 p.m. service. Joyce Meyer would be speaking. After reading her book, Reduce Me to Love, I really wanted to hear her. I was not disappointed. Her message was wonderful and fun. She had a style of delivering her message that everyone could relate to.

Lying in bed that night, I thought of the opportunity given to me. Yes, the drive was long, but the church had what I was looking for. I knew I wouldn’t be living in my duplex in Mesa forever. I liked the area the church was located. What else did I have to do? Maybe I had a new life waiting for me, and I had to make a temporary sacrifice to find that life.

My decision was made. Twice on Sundays, I traveled north to Phoenix First. The time alone in my car gave me time with God, and the drive through Scottsdale was scenic.

One night after service I stood at the front door with the girl who introduced me to the church. Her son had been part of the performance that night, and Pastor Barnett congratulated him. Pastor turned to me and shook my hand. After my last church experience, I was blown away. This man had a huge church and was taking time to shake my hand? I told him how grateful I was to be a part of his church, that I loved his messages and that he was a blessing to me. Tearing up, I also told him that he saved my life. In turn he told me that I was a blessing to him and was grateful for the comments.

I said, “I don’t think you understand. I was thinking of taking my life again until I came here. You saved my life.” A look of horror creased his face as he grabbed me and hugged me tightly. We just cried on each other.

Shortly after, I was baptized. I told myself that I had to put aside my anger and stop e-mailing hurtful things to my ex-husband. I did this when my anger got the best of me. I had to become a better person, a better Christian. It was time to be everything that God wanted me to be.

I stopped murdering my oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment