Monday, August 16, 2010

What Do I See?

How so you see yourself? When you look in the mirror, do you see who you really are or are you too busy picking out your flaws and comparing yourself to other people?

Perfect is boring; flaws are a thing of beauty that set you apart from looking like everyone else. They make you uniquely you and not cookie-cutter. See the beautiful butterfly reflecting back in the mirror.

Owen Wilson’s trademark nose makes him unique.

According to Tyra Banks, she has a “five-head.” But she turned her flaw into a modeling career. "I've always been told by the fashion industry that if my forehead was an inch smaller, I would have been a little too plain-looking. The modeling industry can instill a lot of insecurity in women, but at the same time they find beauty in odd things," she says.

Angelina Jolie’s full lips were not in fashion before hitting the scene in the late 90's. Now everyone’s clambering for the Angelina pout.

Magazines have been responsible for destroying self-esteem in teens and adults for years thanks to the computer age. What you see on the cover and inside isn’t a real person. Those photographs have been airbrushed, even unnaturally enhanced.

This shocking video on Youtube, Dove Evolution, reveals how far an advertising campaign will go to find the ideal beauty.

Exercise 1
What do I see when I look in the mirror? Give an accurate statement about your appearance. You’re not allowed to list anything negative about your features. If you don’t like a particular feature, find a way to make it positive.

Negative example:
My hair is always flat and frizzy.
My eyes are too large for my face.

Accurate example:                                                 
I have beautiful blonde hair.                                          
I have large brown eyes that smile at people.

Exercise 2 How do I think other people see me? Then ask 2-3 people who know you to write down what they see in you, how you look, and what you mean to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment